06 Aug Geoscience Data Scientist
The Geoscience Data Scientist will form part of the growing geoscience team that will be based in the UK. The successful candidate will play a vital role in the development of new geo-data analytical techniques and tools using 1D, 2D, 3D and 4D data acquired directly from Geotek multi-sensor instrumentation. The candidate will use their knowledge of the geoscience domain and mathematical skills to extract, transform, load, manipulate, explore, analyse, report, and visualise data for operational projects. The candidate will be responsible for the development and implementation of new techniques and tools by working closely with the Geotek research and development and software teams.
The Geoscience Data Scientist will work within a small team and would suit a candidate with 5 years’ experience and/or equivalent qualifications in geoscience and mathematics, or data science, computer science, machine learning, etc. The Geoscience Data Scientist will lead the creation of new workflows and technologies that provide differentiation for Geotek and provide our customers with more interpretative results in the field. The candidate will be actively encouraged to innovate outside of standard geological practices so that they can be at the forefront of the data science community.
Established in 1994, Geotek is a world leader in its specialised field of non-destructive instrumentation and analysis of geological core samples with most of its products and services being sold overseas. Geotek operates in nearly every field of Geoscience from Oil and Gas to Mineral Exploration from Palaeoclimate to Geotechnical Engineering. We have a full order book for products and core logging services to the world’s earth science institutions, geotechnical companies, mineral exploration and oil and gas majors.
Duties and Responsibilities
General responsibilities include:
- Development of new data analytical techniques using statistics, mathematics or machine learning to extract, transform, load, manipulate, explore, analyse, report, and visualise data for operational projects
- Acquisition, processing and manipulation of 1D, 2D, 3D and 4D datasets from geological cores/materials using Geotek Multi-Sensor Core Logger (MSCL), Hyperspectral and X-ray CT equipment
- Working alongside the Research and Development and Software teams to implement new data analytical techniques
- Specific level of duties and responsibilities will be set in accordance with the individuals specific experience and interests
- The role will be based in the UK
Qualifications and experience requirements:
- The successful candidate is likely to have attained degree level qualifications in either computer science, data science, mathematics or similar and should have experience of the geoscience domain
- The candidate should have a working knowledge of mathematical, statistical and machine learning data analysis techniques
- The candidate should have experience working with big data, data processes, software and databases
- Advanced problem-solving skills, with focus on finding solutions on extracting data from multi-variant datasets
- Must have a working knowledge of R, Python, Matlab or similar high-level general purpose and statistically focused programming technique
- Must have excellent data visualisation skills
- Must be proficient at the design, build, test and support of innovative data techniques
- Good interpersonal, presentation, organisational skills
- Must be able to speak and write English fluently
- Willingness to learn and deliver to tight deadlines
- Effective communication skills, and ability to work as part of a small team
- Previous experience of working with Geotek equipment could be an advantage but is not essential
- Must have a full and clean UK driving license
Salary and benefits are negotiable and will be commensurate with skills and experience.
To apply for this position please send your CV together with a covering letter or email to: email@example.com
No agencies, thank you