29 Mar Geoscientist
The Geoscientist role is a wide-ranging and challenging position that is embedded in nearly every part of Geotek’s business from application development through to the provision of services. The Geoscientist will work within a small team and will suit a practically-oriented, hands-on science or engineering graduate who has a quantitative mind and an interest in geology. The Geoscientist will use their knowledge to support and eventually lead core logging service projects at the laboratory in the UK and in the field (onshore and offshore). The candidate will become intimately familiar with Geotek’s geoscience instrumentation and be expected to install equipment at a customer’s laboratory and deliver training on how to use the equipment for a variety of applications. The role will be based in the UK but will include significant overseas travel to conduct onshore and offshore fieldwork, equipment installation and service visits to clients’ laboratories.
Established in 1994, Geotek is a world leader in its specialised field of non-destructive instrumentation and analysis of geological core samples with most of its products and services being sold overseas. We have a full order book for products and core logging services to the world’s earth science institutions, geotechnical companies, and to oil and gas and mining sectors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work as part of a small, flexible, self managed group
- Set-up, calibrate, and use the full range of Geotek Multi-Sensor Core Logger (MSCL) and X-ray CT equipment on geological materials
- Support and eventually lead projects in the UK lab or in the field, either onshore or offshore
- Prepare core measurement workflows and quality control documentation
- Process datasets; write reports; present reports to customers
- Liaise with customers regarding technical data, questions, delivery and deliverables
- Test MSCL geoscience instrumentation within a manufacturing environment
- Install and deliver training on the use of Geotek equipment at customers’ premises
- Work on application studies using Geotek equipment and deliver through presentation, posters or papers publishable works to industry or academic conferences
- Specific level of duties and responsibilities will be set in accordance with the individual’s specific experience and interests
- Worldwide travel (onshore and offshore) or potentially secondment overseas. The flexibility to be away from the UK for more than 3 months per year would be an advantage
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Physical science, engineering, geoscience or similar degree
- Interest in geology & geophysics; familiarity with downhole logging, remote sensing, or other geophysical measurement techniques would be favorable
- Accuracy, numeracy and attention to detail expected
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to work autonomously
- Good interpersonal, presentation, organisational skills
- Effective communication skills, and ability to work as part of a small team.
- Must be able to speak and write English fluently
- Willingness to learn and deliver to tight deadlines
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications, in particular Microsoft Excel, Word and Powerpoint
- Previous experience of scientific coding either within a Matlab or Python environment could be an advantage but it is not essential
- Previous experience of working with Geotek equipment could be an advantage but is not essential
- The position is subject to the applicant being able to pass an OGUK medical for offshore work
Salary and benefits are negotiable and will be commensurate with skills and experience.
To apply for this position please send your CV together with a covering letter or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please let us know whether you are eligible to live and work in the UK.
No agencies, thank you