12 Sep Temporary Geologist/Geological Technician
The Temporary Geologist/Geological Technician is an immediate 6 month role and forms part of the core logging services team conducing core analysis projects using Geotek MSCL or X-ray equipment and visual core logging on rock and unconsolidated sediment cores for a variety of geoscience industries. The role will be based in the UK but will include overseas field work within Geotek mobile laboratories both on land and offshore.
Established in 1994, Geotek is a world leader in its specialised field of non-destructive instrumentation and analysis of geological core samples with most of its products and services being sold overseas. We have a full order book for products and core logging services to the world’s earth science institutions, geotechnical companies, and to oil and gas and mining sectors.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Geologist/Geological Technician role will suite a geoscience graduate who has at least 3 to 5 years experience. Whilst working with the core logging service team, the Geologist/Geological Technician will use their geoscience knowledge to support and eventually lead core logging service projects in the field within mobile laboratories based around the world, as well as offshore on coring and drilling vessels. The role is temporary and will last for approximately 6 months with an optional extension of 3 months if required.
General responsibilities include:
- Working within a small group, being flexible and with a focus for delivery are important attributes for this agile team
- Set-up, calibration, and analysis of geological cores/materials using Geotek Multi-Sensor Core Logger (MSCL) or X-ray CT equipment
- Processing of datasets, production of geological logs, and report writing
- Liaising with the customer on technical data, questions, delivery and deliverables
- Support/Lead projects in the UK lab or in the field, either onshore or offshore in conjunction with a senior geologists or core services manager
- Specific level of duties and responsibilities will be set in accordance with the individuals specific experience and interests
- There will be worldwide travel (onshore and offshore) for the successful candidate, the amount of travel will be dependent on the candidate.
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications
- Accuracy, numeracy and attention to detail expected
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to work autonomously
- Good interpersonal, presentation, organisational skills
- Must be able to speak and write English fluently
- Willingness to learn and deliver to tight deadlines
- Effective communication skills, and ability to work as part of a small team.
- The successful candidate is likely to have attained qualifications in a geoscience subject and should have at least 3 or 5 years experience in industry or academia.
- Experience in the geotechnical or engineering geology industry would be preferential for this position
- A strong science background or interest is preferred for this role in a geoscience technology based sales department.
- Previous experience of working with Geotek equipment could be an advantage but is not essential.
Salary and benefits are negotiable and will be commensurate with skills and experience.