12 Sep Geologist/Geological Technician
The Geologist/Geological Technician role is part of the core logging services team conducing core analysis projects using Geotek MSCL or X-ray equipment and visual core logging on rock and unconsolidated sediment cores for a variety of geoscience industries. The role will be based in the UK but will include overseas field work within Geotek mobile laboratories both on land and offshore.
Established in 1994, Geotek is a world leader in its specialised field of non-destructive instrumentation and analysis of geological core samples with most of its products and services being sold overseas. We have a full order book for products and core logging services to the world’s earth science institutions, geotechnical companies, and to oil and gas and mining sectors.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Geologist/Geological Technician role will suite a geoscience graduate, or early career geoscientist with one or two years experience. Whilst working with the core logging service team, the Geologist/Geological Technician will use their geoscience knowledge to support and eventually lead core logging service projects at the laboratory in the UK, onshore within mobile laboratories based around the world, as well as offshore on coring and drilling vessels.
General responsibilities include:
- Working within a small group, being flexible and with a focus for delivery are important attributes for this agile team
- Set-up, calibration, and analysis of geological cores/materials using Geotek Multi-Sensor Core Logger (MSCL) or X-ray CT equipment
- Visual core description to known standards of rock and unconsolidated sediment cores
- Processing of datasets, production of geological logs, and report writing
- Support sales manager in the organisation and production of quotation and technical offers
- Liaising with the customer on technical data, questions, delivery and deliverables
- Production of end of project presentations and travel to customer sites to present on work performed
- Support/Lead projects in the UK lab or in the field, either onshore or offshore in conjunction with a senior geologists or core services manager
- Aiding in the generation of core services logging workflows and prepare quality control documentation
- Specific level of duties and responsibilities will be set in accordance with the individuals specific experience and interests
- There will be worldwide travel (onshore and offshore) for the successful candidate, the amount of travel will be dependent on the candidate
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications
- Accuracy, numeracy and attention to detail expected
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to work autonomously
- Good interpersonal, presentation, organisational skills
- Must be able to speak and write English fluently
- Willingness to learn and deliver to tight deadlines
- Effective communication skills, and ability to work as part of a small team.
- The successful candidate is likely to have attained qualifications in a geoscience subject and could have 1 or 2 years experience in industry or academia.
- A strong science background or interest is preferred for this role in a geoscience technology based sales department.
- Previous experience of working with Geotek equipment could be an advantage but is not essential.
Salary and benefits are negotiable and will be commensurate with skills and experience.